Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The next big thing

I'd been tagged by a few people to do this, the newest being the incorrigible Mina Vaughn


What is the working title of your book?
LIVING IN A RUBIK'S CUBE


Where did the idea come from for the book?
I was reading a book one day, and it had been a bad month. I NEEDED a distraction in the form of a new, anticipated book. Then on the second page, there were underlined passages. 

I hate when people underline in books. Fine, if it's your textbook, great. But a public LIBRARY book, and a novel at that? *Feaky Smash!!*  I was SO ANNOYED! And the underlining didn't stop. It was throughout the book. I couldn't ignore it, and couldn't read the book. It got me thinking that would be a good scene. Who was reading the book, and why would she need a distraction? 

I have a condition called 'Synaesthesia.' I didn't think it was particularly interesting until people kept asking me about it, so I worked that into it as well. 


What genre does your book fall under?
 Definitely New Adult Contemporary commercial fiction. Some might say it's Chick Lit, but it has more of an edge. 


What is your book about?
A synaesthetic librarian who self-medicates her recent break up by smoking enough pot to give an elephant emphysema. 


 Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I'm represented by the amazing Marisa Cleveland of The Seymour Agency  


Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I haven't found anyone who looks like Elle to me yet, but Dominic looks like Peter Badenhop.


 What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
This manuscript has the most ME in it of any other that I've written. It was painful, and cathartic to write. But it's also fun, and sometimes funny, and I think Elle is a character people will relate to. 

16 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! And yeah for another librarian book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea!!! This sounds amazing!!! I can't wait to read once my little womb invader is finally evicted. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great, Feaky! Having been a library clerk at a MS, I can understand the urge to self-medicate. HEH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, did I tell you how amazing your heading is???

    ReplyDelete
  5. ZOMG, that sounds freaking GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun! I love where your idea came from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds awesome. I *love* synesthesia. I actually was a Psych major undergrad at UCSD where Dr. Ramachandran was doing breaking research into synesthesia and acted as a "control" in one of his studies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore this story so damn much. Also, Dominic is MINE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *grabby hands* I WANT THIS!! Sounds like such a fun, unqiue read. AND, GAWD!! I hate when people muck w/library books. HANDS OFF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wheeee! I love this story. And it looks like I'm going to have to duke it out with Tristina for Dominic. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. How awesome Feaky!
    Had no idea you had synesthesia. My kiddos are really into a book series that talks about this disorder.
    Love your book summary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! And NOTHING annoys me more than underlining or highlighting in books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Add me to the annoyed at underlining in books group. I love the sneak peek into this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't read underlined text either. Drives me crazy! Your book sounds awesome, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea and can't wait to read your book! I have fond memories of working in a library myself... erasing the pencil underlined text, cursing ink-underlines and the Hilighted bits.

    ReplyDelete