Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Have you read...

So I got a performance review at work last week.

My boss has noticed how good I am at recommending books to patrons. Not only did she notice when she's there, but apparently, patrons have been coming in raving about the books I suggested for them.

My boss said, 'Not all my staff does this, but you read really widely, and I think that's a big reason why you're able to select the right book.'

This felt good for two main reasons.

1. It's nice to be recognized for something positive that you care about. It doesn't always happen in a job. Too often, the boss expects you to go above and beyond, and doesn't acknowledge when you do something well.

2. The main reason this felt great - I really care about recommending books. I CARE about finding the perfect fit between a patron and a book. I want you to LOVE the book I suggest you try. Sometimes it isn't even as grandiose as finding a book for you that becomes a literary revelation, bumping one of your all time favourites off the list.

Here's how I see it. Books can be an adventure or an escape.

Maybe I'm just finding a book for someone who desperately needs an hour or two escape from their daily lives. To be able to provide a book that takes them away from a bad situation for even a short amount of time... I get emotional thinking about it. Because that's happened.

The best days at work are the ones where people give me free rein about book suggestions. I feel so light, and happy. Excited.

Recently on twitter, a friend suggested that I start a book review blog, since I love recommending books so much.

While I can't see that happening, I think maybe I'll start recommending a book here and there. I hope you don't mind me raving about books I love from time to time.

I hope you'll even consider reading a few of them, if one catches your eye.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I am ALWAYS on the lookout for more good books. My local librarians aren't very good at recommending books, but my tastes are wide yet shallow. I suspect that makes it difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are some genres and authors you like? *rubs hands together*

      Delete
    2. Anything by Robert J. Sawyer, for one. The guy is absolutely brilliant, in my humble opinion, and because I'm all about boosting our domestic artists, I'm proud to point out he's a Canadian!

      Delete
  2. "I hope you don't mind me raving about books I love from time to time."

    I don't understand. Mind? Raving about books? I love book raving! :) And congrats on spreading book love wherever you go. I picture a Tinkerbell-like creature leaving a trail of pixie dust and starry-eyed readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. More like me hauling them around the library by the arm, eyes lit up like a zealot as I flit from aisle to aisle searching for a book. :D

      Delete
  3. That's great! I love being a book 'match-maker,' too. :) I'd love to hear your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Feaky,

    Okay, last time I tried this blogger ate the comment. One more time from the top.

    Many thanks for the kind words on "No One Best Way" (Janet Reid posted about it). I know you're not delving into the world of reviews, but if you do, happy to send you a copy of DEATH MATCH or KNOCKOUTS if you like ebooks.

    Again, thanks for reading the piece and so glad you enjoyed it!

    Cheers,

    Jay
    jason.ridler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete